Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2006 21:48:33 +0100
From:      RW <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make.conf and USA_RESIDENT

On Friday 30 June 2006 21:10, backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com wrote:
> It would be nice to have a definative answer on this
> because people still suggest it is put into
> make.conf...

I had a quick look with grep and it couldn't USA_RESIDENT under /usr/src in
6.1 at all.

It appears in three port Makefiles. In one it's passed into a scripts
environment, but not used. In another it's used to set the default paper size
of all things.

The only example I could find where it's used for anything meaningful is when
xfree86 is built with the XDM_DES knob and it forces Americans to fetch their
own copy of Wraphelp.c. There doesn't seem to be a corresponding usage in
xorg, so maybe the  xfree86 port is just running a bit behind the times.