Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:39:38 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        cool46 cool46 <coolunixer@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how to kill nfs-blocked process

cool46 cool46 wrote:
> thanks for your reply,but it is not work for me.i tried to mount nfs
> with options -i,-R,but the problem is as before.The details of my test
> is as follows:
> my nfs server(IP:10.0.0.1) is a RedHat 7.3 with kernel of 2.4.19
> version,my nfs client(IP:10.0.0.2) is freebsd 4.5
> 10.0.0.2:
> mount_nfs -i -R 1 10.0.0.1:/home /usr/home
> cp a_big_file /usr/home
>
> in the course of doing this,i disabled network between these two machine
> by using iptables in 10.0.0.1
> /sbin/iptables -I INPUT -p udp -s 10.0.0.2 -j DROP
>
> so the process 'cp' in 10.0.0.2 is blocked,I can't kill or interrupt it
> in any way.According to mount_nfs's manual ,it should failed and return
> in a few minutes because i set -R equal to 1,but the fact is not.
> Could you help me?
> thanks agains.i'm a chinese and glad to make friends with you.

That should be the solution.  I'm not an NFS "expert" so you may want to
consult with some others as well.  (I've put this email back on the mailing
list)
If you don't find a solution, then you should probably submit a PR (problem
report) via the send-pr command, or through the website.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies