Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 00:29:33 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Cc:        ambrisko@tcs.com (Douglas Ambrisko)
Subject:   Re: COMCONSOLE: a patch and a problem

As Douglas Ambrisko wrote:

> 	- Hacked the biosboot code to echo and take input from both the
> 	  graphics screen/keyboard and com1.  This way I can control the boot

Great!

> 	  by either the normal console or serial console.  It would be nice
> 	  if I could save the boot mode for the default of the next boot.

> 	  very common?  Also with the method, I don't have to worry about
> 	  keyboard probes but may have to for a serial port.

Probing for a serial port is much easier.

The idea behind the keyboard probe was stolen from workstations: if no
keyboard is present, default to the first serial port.  You can only
have one system console, so at least by the time you're going to boot
the kernel, you must have made a decision.

> 	- Run getty on /dev/console and not on /dev/ttyv0, so I get a console
> 	  getty no matter which way I boot.

Hmm, there was a saying the running getty on /dev/console used to be
totally broken.  Bruce?  Ever tried it lately?

--
cheers, J"org