Date:      Sun, 1 Jan 1995 17:39:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      william pechter ILEX <pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil>
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@wcarchive.cdrom.com (FreeBSD-hackers)
Subject:   FreeBSD2.0 install problem

I tried to load FreeBSD2.0 again on the 486 that's giving me all the
machine problems.

The new symptom is the initial floppy loads up and makes the file system
on my SCSI disk. (I'm running this on a 307 meg drive with a  200 meg
dos partition. 20 meg's set for Dos and 20 for swap -- it's an 8mb machine.)

The system tells me to reboot from hard disk -- all I get is a kernel load
and immediate reboot w/o any warning messages or panic.

Any suggestions?

I'm using the 1.2 meg boot disk... I did try the 1.44 once.

This is getting too strange.

This disk and Adaptec 1452b ran fine on 1.1 (there's no other scsi
disk except a CD and tape drive.)

I'm hoping 2.0 gets rid of the 1.1.5.1 memory problems I have.

If this doesn't work I'm going to try NetBSD 1.0 and then lock
in to FreeBSD 1.1.

(BTW -- Linux has similar problems to my FreeBSD box...
 on my wife's machine I get traps when compiling the 1.1.72 kernel...
 FreeBSD1.1.5 seems much more sensitive.  I get the errors from sendmail
 bash, sh and just about everything.  On Linux it looks like gcc's the
 main culpret.

Bill

Bill
 Bill Pechter |Systems Administrator  |
 Ilex Systems |170 Patterson Ave      | Shrewsbury, New Jersey 07702
 908-532-2943 |pechter@sesd.ilex.com  | pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil