Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 01:04:24 -0600
From:      "Stephen Hurd" <deuce@lordlegacy.org>
To:        "PetBuilder" <petbuilder@mediaone.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Telnet & Root access

> I'm trying to telnet into a server with 4.3 and I can log in thru telnet
using a regular user
> name and pass but it will not accept the root log in and pass.

You actually don't want to do this... honest.  If you NEED root access through
telnet (and I would REALY reccomend using ssh - if you're using Windows, use
PuTTY) you can log in as a user in the wheel group and su to root with the
right password.

Also, make sure you've applied the security update described at:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-01:49.telnetd.v1.
1.asc