Date:      Fri, 05 Jan 2001 20:31:57 -0600
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Request for help configuring sound card

I'm running FreeBSD 4.1 and have an Ensoniq soundcard that uses the
ES1371 sound driver successfully in Linux.

I've recompiled the FreeBSD kernel with the pcm device and executed 'sh
MAKEDEV snd0' as root.

Executing 'cat /dev/sndstat' provides the following information:

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Jan  5 2001 18:52:46
Installed devices:
pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> at io 0xe400 irq 5 (1p/1r channels duplex)

Unfortunately, when I try to use Kscd (the cd player that comes with
KDE) I get the following message:
'CDROM read or access error.
Please make sure you have access permissions to:
/dev/rmatcd0c'

ls -l /dev/rmatcd0c yields:  'crw-r-----'

I tried making /dev/rmatcd0c world readable/writable/executable, but the
results are the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew Gould