Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:16:13 +0100 (CET)
From:      Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein-freebsd-questions@theloosingend.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network hang on 5.3

I just installed a new bridge a couple of weeks ago, and the other day I
upgraded it to RELENG_5_3 by source. It runs with a custom kernel which
has bridge, ipfirewall, sound and some other things in it.

Today the machine just suddenly locked up. This has also happened before
(two days ago). The bridge seem to work still though, as I can connect to
machines on the other side of the box and vice versa. It also answers on
ping. However, if I try to connect via ssh or http the connection just
seems to hang. If I do 'telnet bridge 22' I get

Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
Connected to xxxxx.xxxxxxxxx.xxx.
Escape character is '^]'.

And nothing. It just hangs, and I can't ctrl-c or ctrl-z or anything. I
have to kill the telnet process from another tty. Only the ports that are
supposed to be open gives this result (22, 80, etc). If I try to connect
to any other port, I get the usual 'Connection refused'

I do not have a monitor on this machine, and ssh is the only way in. How
can I find out what's wrong, either before or after rebooting it.

  Cheers,
  Svein Halvor