Date:      Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:24:17 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/162049: The Ports tree lacks a framework to restart services

hello

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl> wrote:
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0We know exactly which ports install rc scripts (USE_RC_SUB=
R).
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Why not run `/usr/local/etc/rc.d/${FOO} status' and
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0`/usr/local/etc/rc.d/${FOO} stop' prior to installation. B=
ased
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0on the return value of the first, we can run
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0`/usr/local/etc/rc.d/${FOO} start' after installation.

Here is a link to the PR, for people who want it easy:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D162049

Shouldn't you be using 'service FOO stop' instead? See service(8).

Personally, I prefer the port upgrade process to NOT touch my running
services at all.
In cases where it can't be avoided, I'm prepared to manually handle
services that needs to be restarted after an upgrade.
As you probably are aware of already, there are also security concerns
with automatically starting a newly installed version of a program.

I'm only running FreeBSD for my personal use, on a limited number of machin=
es.

If I was working with a larger number of machines, or needed an
automated solution, I would look into tools like sysutils/cfengine3

HTH
--=20
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen