Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 13:53:25 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The -stable problem: my view

Terry Lambert writes:
> > > I buy most of Jordan's arguments about getting rid of -stable (though
> > > I'm not sure why CVS should be the problem.  Sure, I don't like it
> > > either, but the way I see it, that's mainly a problem of
> > > documentation), and so I'm not going to argue against killing -stable,
> >
> > Try using it _seriously_ someday and no explanation will be necessary.
> > Suffice it to say that it has absolutely nothing to do with the
> > documentation.
>
> The problem with CVS is access protocol.

No, the problem is that CVS doesn't handle diverging source trees very
well.  The access to the tree is *completely* and *utterly* irrelevant
to the problems at hand, and just because you want it changed doesn't
mean you should get on your soapbox and call for it's implentation.

Stick the to *problem* that's being discussed, not one that you (and
only you) consider to be a real problem with CVS.

You're tryin to break the model that CVS was designed for, and this part
of the model is *NOT* one of the problems FreeBSD is facing now.

Nate