Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:41:06 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Contacting port maintainers (was Re: ports/20737: audio/cdrdao ...)

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 07:48:22PM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Ade Lovett writes:
> > On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 07:18:37PM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > > Nope. I thought submitting a ports pr would cause that to eventually
> > > happen.
> > That's not how it works, I'm afraid, except in the case of those
> > ports that have a maintainer set to "ports@FreeBSD.org" (ie: no-one)
> >
> > See http://www.freebsd.org/porters-handbook/port-upgrading.html
>
> It's not at all clear that that applies to bugs in the port, as
> opposed to the port being out of date. In fact, I've gotten pretty
> good responses on the pr's for such in the past. Possibly I've been
> lucky.
>
> However, since you didn't say you had done so, I sent a note to the
> maintainer of the cdrdao port asking him about this.

The only time you don't need to email a maintainer is when they are not
maintaining; i.e. have lost their privileges as maintainer.  This is why
I override many maintainerships - because people don't "maintain" to a
reasonable degree.  Basically, if they miss something completely for 6
weeks or more, they lost their maintainership privileges for that
particular change.

I'll just say I'll never complain if people override *my* maintainer on
such instances.  You shouldn't either.

--
Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu> <will@FreeBSD.org>
GCS/E/S @d- s+:+ a--- C++ UB++++$ P+ L- E--- W+ N-- !o ?K w---