Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 21:42:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Roop Nanuwa <roop@gw.carpoolbc.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD GW vs. Router

Roop Nanuwa <roop@gw.carpoolbc.com> types:
> Hi.. me again =)
> 	Our company wants to switch from a FreeBSD gateway on a T1
> (supplying internal IPs & internet access to internal boxes) to a LinkSys
> Cable/DSL type router. Has anyone ever used these routers? Are they
> better/worse/same as having a FreeBSD GW?

I've got a LinkSys Cable/DSL Router. If you've got a collection of
non-servers you want to cram behind a single IP address, it does an
excellent job of being a plug-n-play solution. For the most part, they
did things right - configuration via HTTP, it has *nothing* listening
on the internet side, etc. I just wish I could disable NAT completely,
but that's quirk of what I want to do. Overall, I'm happy with it and
don't have any problem recommending it for people who need such a
thing.

It's different from a FreeBSD box. If you get the 100BaseT router
version, it's one less box to deal with, and a lot smaller than
anything you're likely to install as a FreeBSD gateay. It's a lot less
expensive than a FreeBSD box and a 100BaseT router. A FreeBSD box
could be configured to do the same job, plus some things it won't
do. FreeBSD also means you have source, which always gives me a warm
fuzzy feeling.

The real question is - why the change? This thing isn't doing anything
the FreeBSD box can't do, so there's no reason to change. If they're
trying to cut maintenance costs, or free up rack space, or upgrade
something, that might make sense. Otherwise, there's no reason to make
this replacement.

	<mike