Date:      Tue, 5 Apr 2016 12:28:14 +0200
From:      Zsolt Ero <zsolt.ero@gmail.com>
To:        Brad Davis <brd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: ports-mgmt/pkg

I don't know how those tools internally check the state of packages,
but anyone who self manages a server usually writes a long line of
"pkg install -y pkg1 pkg2 pkg3" in a script. I would think that 99% of
server deployment scripts are structured like this.

Those lines are used in the sense of "make sure that pkg1, pkg2 and
pkg3 are all installed after this command". Now the new change totally
breaks this behaviour.

Also, it breaks convention with known package managers from OS X or
the linux world, where ... install is usually used as "make sure that
... is installed".

Even if FreeBSD believes that such a huge change is somehow justified
at a minor point release, it should be clearly communicated with the
community. I would strongly recommend going back to the pre-1.7 way of
"make sure that ... is installed" behaviour.

Since this is such a fresh change, I believe there will be many more
user reports coming in from broken install scripts soon.

Zsolt