Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 20:08:55 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail 8.12 structure

>With sendmail-8.12.x, sendmail functionality has been divided between
>two processes:
>
>     sm-mta: SendMail Mail Transmission Agent, which is responsible for
>     receiving messages from other machines or sending them off to
>     other machines or, ultimately, handing the messages off to the
>     local delivery agent.
>
>     sm-msp: SendMail Mail Submission Process, which is the process
>     that mail user agents (mail, mutt, pine, etc) use to inject a new
>     message into the system.
>
>These settings from /etc/defaults/make.conf control the send-only
>sendmail setup:
>
>     sendmail_outbound_enable="YES"  # Dequeue stuck mail (YES/NO).
>     sendmail_outbound_flags="-L sm-queue -q30m" # Flags to sendmail
>(outbound only)
>     sendmail_msp_queue_enable="YES" # Dequeue stuck clientmqueue
>mail (YES/NO).
>     sendmail_msp_queue_flags="-L sm-msp-queue -Ac -q30m"
>                                     # Flags for sendmail_msp_queue daemon.

Thanks.  However, some of it seems a bit fuzzy still.  There are 2
queues, the clientqueue and the mail queue.  Using the names from the
rc.conf file for the processes, the MUA will place outbound or local
mail in the client queue.  I believe that outbound then tries to move
the mail to the mail queue so sm-mta can deliver it either locally or
external.  However, sm-msp-queue also seems to do the same function.
Obviously I am missing something on this.
--
-- Doug