Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 19:22:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios <kernel@tdnet.com.br>
Cc:        Zaid Dashti <zaid500@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hi

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios wrote:

> Zaid Dashti wrote:
> >
> > Hi,,,
> > i have some questions about Email accounts:
> >    1- if i want create a Email account for some user should i adduser by
> >       typing a command (adduser) in unix ?
>
> Depends on which approach you are taking!
> When playing with sendmail, chances are you'll have to add a system
> account, anyway i no nothing about possibilities withou system account!

That isn't quite correct.  Sendmail is just a mail transfer agent, and
doesn't care where the mail ends up, or if local mail has a system account
(when configured for such).  For local mail, sendmail simply passes it off
to the system's local mailer, which typically saves it in
/var/mail/{username}.  You're completely free to replace the default
localer mailer with something else that doesn't require system accounts,
for example, I believe the Cyrus POP/IMAP daemon includes a local mailer
that does this with sendmail.  The only caveat is that if you change the
default mailbox, your POP/IMAP daemon needs to know about the new
location, too.

Ken Bolingbroke