Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2013 08:48:03 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about online ath man page regarding access point

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> from Warren Block:
>
>> It depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  Most of the time,
> the FreeBSD system is just a client trying to connect to the access
> point. This article shows how to set that up both in /etc/rc.conf and
> manually with commands:
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/wireless.html
>
> Thanks for helpful link.  I don't think I can try it now.
>
> Now I can't get Internet access through the wireless router, even though the computer sees it.
>
> I now have a TPLink wireless router on order, scheduled to be delivered today.
>
> I get Internet access by directly connecting the Ethernet cable from computer to cable modem, but this is only good for one computer at a time.
>
> I was unable to connect with USB wireless adapter Hiro H50191, driver rsu, though FreeBSD recognized this adapter.
>
> I couldn't find any networks by scanning.  Maybe that could be related to wireless router gradually failing?

That can happen.  Sometimes, it's the cheap wall-wart AC adapter that
fails.  Sometimes the capacitors inside the router itself go bad.

If you have moved equipment around, make certain the AC adapter plugged
into the router is actually the right one for it.  I once spent a couple
of days "de-bricking" a Linksys that just would not work.  It had a
Linksys 9V AC adapter... that was actually from another Linksys unit.
With a 12V adapter, it was fine.