Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 06:40:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ralph Huntington <rjh@mohawk.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   perl-mysql weirdness

Running FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE, I wonder if anyone else has encountered this
phenomenon?

and client. I also selected p5-Mysql-modules-1.2215 because I needed the
DBD module in it.

p5-Mysql-modules has a dependency on mysql-client but insists (from
sysinstall anyway) on selecting the older client 3.22.32 which ends up
overwriting the newer one I had chosen, although I did not notice that at
the time.

The result was to have perl dumping core when anyone attempted to access a
mysql database from a perl-based interface. Command-line access seemed to
be okay, but any time someone came in from mysqlman (for example), perl
dumped core with a signal 11!

We spent some time looking for a hardware problem (signal 11 after all)
but it turned out to be the conflicting mysql client. I solved the problem
by uninstalling mysql client and server as well as the p5-Mysql-modules. I
replaced the p5-Mysql-modules from CPAN and then went back to sysinstall
to get the latest mysql server and client packages. Voila, everything okay
now.
	-=ralph=-