Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 1995 10:47:20 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Francisco_Rosa@vval.com (Francisco Rosa)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & Me

> Hello, I recently tried to install a unix type OS on my system. 486dx33, 8 meg ram,
> 2 gigs hard, adaptec AIC 6360, cardinal fax modem, mustek scanner, trident video,
> ide cntrlr, digidesign hard disk recording system with scsi cntrlr, and a Pinnacle
> micro CD-r.  Neither Linux nor FreeBSD have been able to boot my system.  I believe
> it is the digidesign card that is interfereing with the boot.  I have the whole
> system working in Dos.  How do I get it to work without pulling cards out?  Is there
> anything that can be done to the source code?  Your help would be appreciated.

How far did you get? Did the boot.flp boot and did you get to the
install menu?

You can try to disable as many devices as necessary down to a minimum
(like your hard disk and network card, cdrom or whatever you need)
by typing

/kernel -c

possibly one of the card probes is confusing some of your devices.
Also some probes (wd) take a while before timing out.

So tell us what exactly happens.