Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:30:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        "jon r. luini" <falcon@evolve.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow FTP between freebsd 2.2.6 and Sunos 4.1.3

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, jon r. luini wrote:

> I'm experiencing very slow ftp between these two systems, who
> are on the same local network. I also have a Solaris 2.6 box
> on the same net and if I ftp from either to that, it's nice
> and speedy. Is this a known bug (on freebsd or Sun's part) for
> which there is a known fix or workaround?

Some month ago I made some measurements concerning FTP speed between
different kind of hosts. I observed a significantly slow rate between a
FreeBSD box and a Sun (Solaris 2.5), too. I additionally installed Linux
on the FreeBSD box and got a much better rate. On the other hand, FreeBSD
did better than Linux in FTP transfer with a Digital UNIX workstation.

As far as I understand TCP (my knowledge could and should go deeper)
there's some negotiation of window sizes and timing and so on after
opening a connection. So there may be chance for an unlucky bad rate
between two systems.

Konrad Heuer

// Gesellschaft fuer wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH
// Goettingen (GWDG), Am Fassberg, D-37077 Goettingen, Germany
//
// kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de