Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 19:08:50 +0200 (EET)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdscsi@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        ken@plutotech.com (Kenneth D. Merry)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot-time scsi probe problem

> > any patches i could try? i mean, like, i'm ready to try anything
> Tor Egge came up with a work-around that seems to solve the problem most of

cool.

> I upgraded a number of machines this weekend, and I had the same hang
> problem on a system with an onboard 7890.  I fixed it with the above patch.
>
> Send some mail to the list once you try the patch and let people know
> whether it works for you or not.

i think it worked.

i mean, i have a collection of 9 machines running march 14th current
and those gave me problems... (cloned from one disk into each 8 others)

today i cvsuped (i checked that the patch had been committed) and
made kernel for one of the machines. (just kernel, bad idea but
since it didnt break top/w/ps i didnt bother to make world)

no hangs in that machine ever since.

then i copied the kernel into the other machines, didnt compile
it in those 8 others which share the same binaries. for some
reason the first boot in some of them hanged, none of the
following reboots hanged any of them. i tested multiple boots
after some downtime, and rebooting when machine is warm.

so i can claim it worked for me too. thanx to everyone who
were involved.

but i keep myself ready for any additional testing...  =)

> Ken

mickey

ps. anyone wondering, yes, a production environment...  :>
    (but i have an experience running current on production
     from like '94, i think i know what i do, so far been "safe")