Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 1995 11:55:48 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        deborah@gallifrey.microunity.com (Deborah Bennett)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problem with 2.0.5 alpha using NFS install

Deborah Bennett stands accused of saying:
> Here's what I have done so far:
> - made a boot.flp using dd to the floppy drive on this
>   very PC while still running 2.0R

Which boot.flp image? There have been dozens.  Each set has had
an update to the README file with a timestamp in it.  If you're working
with a set older then 6/6/95, then get a new set.

>   (A comment here - the red "s" on this menu wrongly led
>    me to believe that typing "s" would select this disk.
>   I had to reboot and reread the "how to use menus"
>   to learn to use the space bar for selections here.)

That's right; that's what the help is there for 8)

> - Since I've been retrying this, my partition table
>   is already set up. I have a 100 MB fat slice,
>   and a 906MB freebsd partition.

Make sure you mark it as startable, for paranoia's sake.

> - Escape from partition, choose label.
> - set mount point for sd0s2a to "/",
>   set mount point for sd0s2e to "/usr".
>   Mount point for sd0s2b is already swap.
>   (Another comment here. I noticed that if I did not
>   toggle the newfs flag to read "Y", I got a warning message
>   much later about a read-only root partition. I suggest
>   that if a user exits from this label menu with root
>   set to no-newfs, that the warning is printed here too.
>   Otherwise you have no idea where you went wrong when you
>   see the message later.)

IMHO, / should _always_ be newfs'd, but as this is a change from
previous versions, I'm sure there's a Very Good Reason.

> - Confirm out of Last Chance
> Here the install appears to go normally, I see a newfs of rsd0s2e.
> A worrisome message appears on the alt-F2 screen:
> Warning: calculated sectors per cylinder (3680) disagrees with disk label (2048)
> but the newfs seems to proceed.

That's normal, it's just a performanmce/size wastage optimisation.

> Eventually the Information Dialog hangs with this message:

What does cronus have to say?  Does it see the new machine as an NFS
client?

> DEBUG: Generating /etc/fstab file

Looks like that's your problem...

> I go over to the 4th screen with alt-F4, and notice these things:
> mount returns this:
> mfs_root on / (local)
> /dev/sd0a on /mnt (local)
> /mnt/dev/sd0s2e on /mnt/usr (local)
> cronus:/s3/bsd/FreeBSD/2.0.5-ALPHA on /nfs
>
> If I cd to /nfs and echo *, I see what I expect - the
> list of directories from cronus - MIRROR.SITES, README, README.FIRST, etc.
> If I cat /etc/fstab, it is empty. ls -l tells me it is zero length,
> and its creation date is only a few minutes ago. Its permissions
> are 644.

What does /mnt/etc/fstab look like? That's the one of interest.

> I realize this email is rather long, but my experience with installations
> in the past has been that more information is generally better.

Yup 8)

> I would appreciate any information you can provide about this
> install problem. At this point I feel stuck until the WC CD comes
> out with this version, since I know that install method works
> on this PC. I am willing to perform any simple experiments that
> you would like - the disk has been newfs'd now and is useless
> until I reinstall the old FreeBSD 2.0R on it.

I think that knowing which install floppy you're working from would be
very helpful; there have been a huge number of bugs eliminated in the
aplha cycle.

> Thanks,
> -deborah bennett
>
> Deborah Gronke Bennett 	(WD5HJH) 	kernel and device drivers engineer
> deborah@microunity.com			(408)-734-8100
> MicroUnity Systems Eng., 255 Caspian Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94089-1015 USA
>  "Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again" 							Ginger Rogers in "Swingtime"
> Deborah Gronke Bennett 	(WD5HJH) 	kernel and device drivers engineer
> deborah@microunity.com			(408)-734-8100
> MicroUnity Systems Eng., 255 Caspian Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94089-1015 USA
>  "Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again" 							Ginger Rogers in "Swingtime"

*chuckle* With your background, I can't be sure whether this is
warlord flamebait, or an honestly-broken .sig 8)

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[