Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 14:50:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   logging in as root under X

I've noticed that I can't login as root when running X:

xterm -e login root & and then I type the password but I get rejected.
All other logins work ok though under X.  Also, if I start X as root and
then type `finger', I don't see root listed under the pseudo-terminals
anywhere.  For ex., if I have two xterms open, finger should report
that root is on ttyp0 and ttyp1 but I don't see them.

If I start a new xterm via xterm -e login dmm125 &, I can log in OK and
`finger' reports me as being logged in on ttyp2.  But none of this works
for root.  syslogd reports LOGIN root REFUSED (NOROOT) ON ttyp2.  I can
still get an xterm open as root by selecting "new window" from the default
root menu (mwm).  But finger doesn't show root as being logged in on that
tty.  I'm running FreeBSD 3.0-980123-SNAP.

Help appreciated.  Thanks

	Donn