Date:      Mon, 03 Dec 2007 13:53:06 -0500
From:      "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC/P] Port System Re-Engineering

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On Monday, December 03, 2007 11:38:33 -0500 "Aryeh M. Friedman"
> <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Coding before the problem is well understood is the worst of all
>> possible solutions... specifically in many ways thats how to the
>> port system got into such a bad state....
>
> I've run just about every *nix version imaginable - a number of
> Linuxes (Red Hat, Fedora, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Debian, Slackware, and
> others) and FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solarix, AIX, just to name a few.
> I've used apt-get, yum, rpm, et. al.  IMNSHO the ports system is by
>  far the best system I've ever used WRT installing/deinstalling
> software **and solving problems with dependencies**.  I have
> *never* had a problem with the ports system that couldn't be easily
> solved by 1) reading /usr/ports/UPDATING or 2) deinstalling and
> reinstalling a port or ports and 3) running pkgdb -F and fixing
> dependency problems.  I can't say the same for any of the other
> systems, which is why I use FreeBSD exclusively where I can (which
> is almost everywhere now.)

Have you ever attempted to install the individual ports of a mega
metaport?

> Before you waste any more time, why don't you get very specific
> about what you think the "bad state" of the ports system is.  "I
> don't like it" doesn't qualify nor does "ports freezes suck".

I never asked or said any of those... the original thread was started
when I asked how long the port freeze would last... others turned it
into a referendum on the ports system... once the thread had been
transformed I ventured some of my own ideas.

> Oddly enough, the ports systems works perfectly for me, with only a
>  very occasional problem encountered.  I maintain a few (8) ports
> myself, so I'm quite familiar with how they work as well.

I have 4 ports awaiting inclusion in the ports tree after the freeze
is over (I am willing to wait but I think the fact that there was a
ports freeze in the first place points to some underlaying flaws which
I cited in the original thread)

> Perhaps your "problem" is a lack of familiarity?

Any one who can write a port makefile from scratch and have it pass
portlint should qualify as being familiar with the system

- --
Aryeh M. Friedman
FloSoft Systems
Developer, not business, friendly