Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 09:59:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rashid  Karimov <rashid@rk.ios.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   AHC/SCSI stability (resets/timeouts on SCSI)

		Hi there folx,

	I've changed the topic of some other thread here
	( famous trap 12 one) to something more relevant
	to the Q I have. The cites below are from Justin's
	answer on kernel config issues.

	I run rather large CCD PC here - it has 3 AHA2940W
	and 6 HDDs in it ( it's a news server) .
	Works very fast - reads/writes at ~18MBs.

	It can ran up to a few weeks w/o any problems,
	but every once in a while I would see these messages in the
	messages file:

	Jun 11 21:49:45 news /kernel: ahc2: Issued Channel A Bus Reset #3. 0 SCBs aborted
	Jun 11 21:49:45 news /kernel: ahc2: target 1, lun 0 (sd5) timed out
	Jun 11 21:49:45 news /kernel: ahc2: Issued Channel A Bus Reset #3. 0 SCBs aborted

 /kernel: sd5(ahc2:1:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,0
 un 11 21:49:49 news /kernel: sd5(ahc2:1:0):  Power on, reset, or bus device reset occurred field replaceable uni
 t: 1
 Jun 11 21:49:49 news /kernel: , retries:4
 Jun 11 21:49:49 news /kernel: biodone: buffer already done

	and machine would reboot or hang :(
	Sometime all three ahc* would complain ...

	The ahc driver is from 2.1-release I think. Is there anything I can
	do to make the machine more stable ? I want to give a try to ahc
	driver from latest 2.2.-SNAP to see how it goes .

 >Here is my kernel configuration:
>
> >controller      ahc0
> >controller      ahc1
>
> You only need one of these.  One ahc entry will attach to as many cards
> as it can find in your system.

	I have 3 entries actually - can it somehow affect stability
	of the SCSI system ?
	I can't go with whole new kernel though - the ccd is now made
	as LKM and is not backward compatible as I heard ?
	Is there a chance I can use old ccd code with 2.2-0612-SNAP ?

> >Basically I stripped everything I didn't need in the hopes
> >of expurgating the problem.
>
> Not quite everything.
>
> >An issue with the 2940W?  I did have to disable wide
> >transfers on the wide drive and sync negotiation for both (not sure
> >which fixed it) to make the narrow drive stop rebooting the SCSI bus
> >on every drive access, but that was a dozen sups and kernels ago,
> >haven't had time to play with it since.
>
> Please confirm that you no longer need to disable wide negotiation or
> lower the sync rate with the latest driver.  This should be fixed.
>
> >Later,
> >Jeff
>
> --
> Justin T. Gibbs