Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:28:13 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Need intranet cookbook

I'm afraid this is really off-topic, except that I'm using a FreeBSD
machine to try to set this up, and I hope somebody has a url handy at the
tip of their keyboard.

I need to set up an intranet for our (small) school. I've succeeded in
installing apache from the ports and I've configured it well enough so that
I can access the test page from one of the other computers on our LAN. I've
also succeeded in installing mysql and mod-php, because I found a couple of
web-sites that discussed how to do it.

What I would like is a pointer to some source that describes actually
setting up an intranet. Something for a dummy, like, "First cd to
/usr/local/www and then mkdir..." or whatever. I've been able to find lots
of stuff on configuring apache, and lots of stuff about setting up other
fairly complicated stuff, and I think I uunderstand it well enough to
start, but I just haven't been able to locate anything about the actual
nitty-gritty of where files and directories are supposed to go. I've even
found pages about "designing the Intranet", but they never seem to answer
the question, "But where do all these pieces GO???" Even the FreeBSDDiary
skips over this.

I'll be grateful if anyone can point me to a learning resource.
--
Roger