Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2019 23:34:01 +0900
From:      Koichiro Iwao <meta@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Antoine Brodin <antoine@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>, ruby@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FLAVORS for Ruby

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 08:39:12AM +0200, Antoine Brodin wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 6:27 AM Koichiro Iwao <meta@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 09:33:43AM -0600, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> > > Systems MUST be able to support concurrent installations of python2.7
> > > and actual python. What is your use case for concurrent ruby?
> >
> > I know the importance of Python 2. Even if it is EoL-ed, it will be
> > required over the next a few years because not a few applications don't
> > migrate to Python 3. So that's true and reasonable.
> >
> > Excuse me that I'm answering your question with a question. What about
> > PHP? Concurrent installation is a MUST?
> >
> > FreeBSD ports allows concurrent installations of multiple Ruby versions
> > however doesn't allow concurrent installations of rubygems for multiple
> > Ruby versions. This inconsistency is the issue for me.
>
> This isn't a valid reason for me.
> Why do you need ruby version 2.4 or 2.5 concurrently installed with version 2.6?
> Is there a bug in version 2.6?

You don't understand the issue. The necessity of concurrent Ruby
versions isn't the issue. The inconsistency is the issue. If rubygems cannot
be installed for multiple ruby versions, FreeBSD ports shouldn't allow
to install multiple versions of Ruby.

You have doubts about installing multiple ruby versions concurrently,
you should also have doubts about why multiple ruby ruby can be installed
concurrently Disabling multiple ruby

Alternatively, Python 3.5 and 3.6 can be installed concurrently and
py- ports can be installed concurrently for each python versions.

--
meta <meta@FreeBSD.org>