Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:32:07 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Anshuman Kanwar <anshuman@expertcity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jumpstart for freebsd.

Am Donnerstag, 13.03.03, um 20:46 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Anshuman
Kanwar:

> I've spent most of last year automating the installation of FreeBSD
> systems at my workplace. [...]
> As a result of all the above, I wrote a set of perl scripts that do a
> very similar job for FreeBSD.
> [...]
> If there is any interest in this work, I will be more than happy to
> see it become one of the ways of installing FreeBSD. Of course, some
> modifications would be required to make these scripts more generic,
> robust and user friendly.
>
> The questions I have are:
> 1) Is this duplication of any prev. work ?

Can't speak to that, although I'm certain that many shops have custom
scripts to do this.

> 2) If no then how should I go about trying to integrate the code into
> FreeBSD?

You should try to create a port for it. The Porter's Handbook explains
how to do that.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/
index.html

Also, you might want to compare your approach compares to FreeBSD From
Scratch:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/fbsd-from-scratch/
index.html

Stefan