Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2000 11:53:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      The Clark Family <res03db2@gte.net>
To:        Bob Willcox <bob@luke.immure.com>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>, j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, Neill Robins <freebsd@nc.rr.com>, "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>, Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM supercomputer

HP has their own project to run HP/UX on Intel.

(And apparently so does IBM.)

If AIX can run on PPC, it can run on Intel. Why IBM would willingly get
involved with SCO puzzles me. SCO has the touch of death.

The whole industry is rife with company A canabalizing the corpse of
company B.

With AMD it was NexGen and the DEC Alpha. With HP it was Apollo. With Sun
it was Cray.

The only problem is that the number of corpses is dwindling.

When Sun, SCO, BSDi, Linux, HP/UX, and AIX all run on Intel or Intel
derivatives, what will the market be like? Will pricing pressures cause
UNIX server hardware to merge with its PC server bretheren?

Some of the hottest UNIX boxen out there are PCI based. Is everything
eventually going to be Intel?

[RC]