Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:31:51 +0100
From:      Burhan Nazir <burhan@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /var/mail permissions after make world

FreeBSD swansea.cableinet.net 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #0: Thu Apr 11
16:35:47 BST 2002
bnazir@swansea.cableinet.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/SWANSEA  i386

I recently recompiled the world from 4.4-RELEASE to 4-STABLE.  Everything
went well.  However, I have noticed a peculiarity with the permissions of my
/var/mail directory.

Before upgrading to 4-STABLE, the permission status of /var/mail was:
drwxrwxr-x   2 root    mail     512 Apr 12 12:58 mail/

and my user mail file under /var/mail:
-rw-------  1 bnazir    wheel     12347918 Apr 12 12:58 bnazir

When I rebuilt the world, the permission status of both remained the same.
But whenever I try and read my mail using mutt, I can no longer modify (ie
add/delete mail) using /var/mail/bnazir as my inbox.

I have to chmod 777 /var/mail to be able to modify my /var/mail/bnazir.  This
was never the case before.  I guess I could just leave it like that, but it
irritates me not knowing why this happened after a build world.

I was wondering if anyone here had come across a similar problem.

Any help most appreciated.

-Burhan

--
FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE | http://www.freebsd.org
1:16PM  up 19:33, 8 users, load averages: 2.67, 2.71, 1.48