Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 12:28:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions regarding slices and partitions

First of all, please understand that my questions
refer to utility programs bundled with freebsd such as
fdisk, disklabel, and newfs. I am not interested here
in the sysinstall program that is used to initialy
install freebsd, even though I realize that what I
want to do can be done with it, and in fact for most
people would make the process even easier. So if your
response
to my post would be something like "just use
sysintall" then please realize that this sort of
response will not help me here and refrain from doing
so. Thank you.

Question 1: Please refer to man fdisk.
What is the difference between the i and the u
switches (without the f switch) for the fdisk utility
program. Is the difference that i is used to either
install the record on a disk that currently has no
record on it, as well as completely erasing the
current record and updating it with a new record,
where as u is used for disks that currently have a
record, and all you want to do is change it a little?

Question 2: Please refer to man disklabel.
What is the difference between the w and the e switch?
Also, does this utility enter conversation mode once
initiated because I don't see any way to pass it the
start sector and the size for the partition to be
created from the information given unless maybe it
enters a conversation mode? Also, does this utility
offer a way to back out such as the fdisk utility does
so that one can practice with it to get the hang of
it?

Question 3:
Let's say I have some unused space on a disk and on
that disk I have a freebsd slice with only one
partition(in other words there are letters left for
more partitions). Can I make the slice larger with the
fdisk utility, and then stick in another partition
with the disklabel utility, without loosing any of the
partition that was originaly in the slice? I ask this
cause I thought that I saw somewhere that when you
edit the slice information with fdisk, that any
information originaly in the slice, for example maybe
your entire / file system :), is lost.

Thank you. I really appreciate your help.

Wayne