Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 1997 13:03:59 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multiple run-levels (was: Re: /etc/init.d/)

> > > IBCS2 compatability requires that the target system support run levels
> > > to correctly support IBCS2 compliant installation scripts for commercial
> > > shrink-wrapped products designed to be run on UNIX platforms.
> >
> > I and others have run lots of 'shrink-wrapped' software, and none of
> > them required 'run-levels' to work, though they did require the ability
> > to start/stop processes (which is independent of run-levels).
>
> And you had to manually comprehend and write equivalents for
> the scripts that would have been installed.

Sort of, but they are un-related to run-levels.

> And the installation was not automatic, since we don't have IBCS2
> compliant package management tools.

None of the packages I've used have used the 'package' tools.  Most use
cpio.

> As far as starting or stopping servers, try installing an IBCS2
> Sybase database server without installing the correct startup
> scripts into the rc3.d directory.

Again, this isn't an issue of run-levels, but of startup script support.

> > Also, you're 'docked/undocked' run-level requirement is a straw man.
> > All of your configuration is completely un-related to run-levels.
>
> The configuration is related to run *states*.  The hardware can be
> *run* in several *states*, which *could* be represented by seperate
> run states.

No, they are not 'states'.  A state is something that you transition
to/from, and very few of your configurations are actually 'states' that
are transitioned to/from.  Either you're undocked, or you're not.  You
don't transition only from 'docked/undocked', but you *are* either
docked/undocked.

Read state theory, and then get back to me about 'run state/levels'.

'docked/undocked' is a configuration, 'networked ethernet/networked
serial/off-the-net' are other configurations, but there is no simple
'transition' where you always go from one state to the next when moving
around.  You jump all over the place, so states is simply the wrong
paradigm.  (I always like bringing up that word.)

Nate