Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:33:05 +0100
From:      Stephan Beal <stephan.beal@einsurance.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   getting rid of FreeBSD partitions?

All,

Please excuse me if this is not the correct list to post this, but FreeBS=
D=20
seems to have a rather limited set of lists, and this one sounded close:

I installed FreeBSD 4.1 last week. I don't at all like it (reminds me too=
=20
much of Solaris), and I'm trying desparately to replace it with Something=
=20
Else. The problem is that I can't remove the BSD partitions. I have tried=
=20
Win98's fdisk, Linux's fdisk, and even FreeBSD's fdisk (using the=20
installation app), and I simply cannot make these damned BSD partitions g=
o=20
away. I suspect that using BSD's fdisk via the installer would work if it=
=20
would allow me to commit the changes without having any BSD partitions=20
installed. Running fdisk from the "holographic rescue shell" simply doesn=
't=20
do it - they reappear on the next boot.
Linux's fdisk segfaults when I try, and Win98's says it deletes them, onl=
y to=20
have them show up again on the next reboot.
I've got a 20GB IBM drive, which is my primary concern, plus an old 4GB=20
secondary drive with the same problem (plus FreeBSD will only acknowledge=
 2GB=20
of it, but that's beside the point). The drives are both useless to me un=
til=20
I can get the BSD partitions off of them.
I've seen this problem before, but only with NT-fdisked drives, and even=20
then, Linux's fdisk would fix the problem.

How the hey do I get rid of BSD paritions? I've tried changing drive mode=
s=20
(LBA, Normal, etc.), different fdisk apps... everything I have available.

(PS: May I please ask that you respond directly to me, as I have no inten=
tion=20
of subscribing to this list, as I don't intend on continuing to use FreeB=
SD.)

Thanks very much in advance,

----- Stephan Beal
Generic Universal Computer Guy
stephan.beal@einsurance.de    http://www.einsurance.de
Office: +49 (89) 53 07 38 32 (Don't bother. I never answer it.)
Handy: +49 (179) 2119767     (I rarely answer that one, too.)
"People don't live or die, people just grow." -- Bob Dylan