Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:44:23 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        David J Duchscher <daved@nostrum.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Resolver Issues (non valid hostname characters)

> Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:07:24 -0600
> From: David J Duchscher <daved@nostrum.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 05:03  AM, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> > It's probably not very useful to talk about doing this until
> > local caching-only name servers on border servers are capable
> > of handling the 8-bit, as well.  For the RFC's that FreeBSD
> > currently complies with, it's right to be strict about this.
>
> I think this is the wrong approach to take with this problem.
> Linux, Windows, and Solaris do not enforce this restriction.  If
> RFC 952 is being thrown out the window, then why should FreeBSD
> continue to enforce this restriction?  At the moment, the
> problems I am seeing have little to do with 8-bit data but
> characters outside of the what RFC 952 allows.

It should be noted that this limitation was in RFC952 which is not a DNS
specification. See RFC2181. I think our implementation is simply
broken.

   The DNS itself places only one restriction on the particular labels
   that can be used to identify resource records.  That one restriction
   relates to the length of the label and the full name.
   [...]
   Those restrictions
   aside, any binary string whatever can be used as the label of any
   resource record.  Similarly, any binary string can serve as the value
   of any record that includes a domain name as some or all of its value
   (SOA, NS, MX, PTR, CNAME, and any others that may be added).
   Implementations of the DNS protocols must not place any restrictions
   on the labels that can be used.  In particular, DNS servers must not
   refuse to serve a zone because it contains labels that might not be
   acceptable to some DNS client programs.  A DNS server may be
   configurable to issue warnings when loading, or even to refuse to
   load, a primary zone containing labels that might be considered
   questionable, however this should not happen by default.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)