Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2013 18:49:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Ravi Pokala <rp_freebsd@mac.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Jia-Shiun Li <jiashiun@gmail.com>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's the state of AF-4Kn support?

Yes, the BIOS calls have always only used 512 byte sectors. There would
have to be an updated spec for those, and it would be a bit of a PITA to
use. I suspect the "right" answer for this on x86 is UEFI.

Yeah, that's the conclusion I reached as well. Though it occurs to me, aren't we already part-way there w/ our IA64 support? EFI originated w/ Itanium and was required to boot those systems, so shouldn't we be able to leverage much of that work for (U)EFI on amd64?

In any case, the primary motivator (at least, for me) is being able to boot from AF-4Kn drives; based on the most recent roadmaps I've seen, the enterprise HDD vendors are committing to support AF-512e for a good while longer, so it's not as urgent as I thought it was when I opened this thread a few weeks ago.

Thanks,

--rp