Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 2012 13:34:29 -0500
From:      Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_N=F8rgaard?= <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pxeboot.bs and vlan tagging

Thanks for your feedback, Erik!  I do have a question below...

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Erik N=F8rgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org> wr=
ote:

> See the other mail, the way pxeboot works IIRC, is that first the pxeboot=
 is
> fetched using tftp, the pxeboot is given the next server and will fetch t=
he
> kernel, modules and other files from /boot/ on that server, (path respect=
ive
> to the root of the tftp dir).
>
> The kernel loads and will then fetch the mfsroot file. As mentioned, by
> default this is done using nfs, and nfs is assumed if the kernel supports
> nfs, even if it only fetches one file. This I understand has to be this w=
ay
> since the network configuration set with dhcp does not specify the protoc=
ol.

> So, if your kernel supports nfs it will not use tftp and hence fail.

The kernel I am using is the kernel from the DVD ISO as it is
downloaded from freebsd.org.  How do I determine what modules have
been enabled and disabled in that kernel?  I am under the assumption
that NFS is compiled into that kernel.  We can install 8.2-RELEASE
with this kernel in VMs, but not bare metal.  Is there an explanation
as to why an NFS enabled kernel would work inside a VM, but fail on
bare metal?

--=20
Take care
Rick Miller