Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:38:56 +0000
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        walton@digger.net
Cc:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sending mail to FreeBSD.org (was: FreeBSD lockup accessing serial port on Thinkpad)

Your message was all on one line.

On Saturday, 10 November 2001 at  4:00:01 -0500, walton@digger.net wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Nov 2001 07:18:45 -0700, "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 06:39:42AM -0500, walton@digger.net wrote:
>>> P.S.  - I've had to resend this message through other than my usual
>>> channels, because the freebsd mailing lists are refusing to accept
>>> mail via pbi.net.  I don't suppose anything can be done about that?
>>
>> I've noticed the FreeBSD mail list servers have gotten more
>> paranoid, and now expect your SMTP "HELO" message to match the "Mail
>> From" field.  Some systems (especially those behind NATing
>> firewalls) are hard to make do that.
>
> Yes, they are definitely more paranoid lately.  I'm not seeing the
> problem you describe, but they refuse to accept email from a server
> whose HELO hostname doesn't resolve.

That's been in place for a long time.

> Which appears to nicely block all of us unsavory Pacific Bell
> Internet customers...

Are you trying to send direct, or via PacBell's mail server?  They may
have policy reasons for requiring the latter.  If their mail server
doesn't have reverse DNS, you have a reason for complaint.  Given the
fact that a large number of ISPs seem to be staffed with trained
monkeys nowadays, it might not be so easy to find a good alternative.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.