Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 08:22:53 -0500
From:      Joshua Fielden <shaggy@houseofduck.ml.org>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba config

Brian Somers wrote:

> > I have a question for those of you using samba and Win95, does your FreeBSD
> > box running samba show up in your network nieghborhood? Currently I can map
> > drive the shared folders to my win95 machine, but I'm wondering if it( BSD
> > box) should be showing up in the network neighborhood??...If it should what
> > does your smb.conf look like? ....
>
> This is nmbd's job.  Despite any docs that say otherwise, the only
> way to get nmbd to publish itself is to run it as a daemon - *not*
> from inet.
>
> I have /usr/local/etc/rc.d/nmbd.sh on my dev box:
> echo -n ' nmbd'; /usr/local/sbin/nmbd -D -C Development
>
> If you have more than one interface, you may also need an
> "Interfaces = " line in smb.conf, say
>
> Interfaces = 10.0.0.1/24

Actually, I have mine running from inetd with no problems. Of course,
it's almost the only thing on this machine that runs exactly as
advertised, but I'll take what I can get. :-)

> > Thanks!
> >
> > Btw I have an NT domain controller, as the master browser.....

Well, until it loses a browser election. I have a network with one NT
server and a bunch of 95 machines, and one SAMBA server. The NT machine
will lose elections even if the SAMBA machine is off. :-)

> This shouldn't make a difference - but be warned, if you bring that
> machine down, you screw up all the other M$ machines... it makes me
> sick :-(
>
> My NT boxes CPU melted a little while ago and I had to put an alias
> on one of the FreeBSD boxes interfaces for the dead machine,
> otherwise I was suffering regular ~100second pauses on all the M$
> machines.
>
> I couldn't figure out any magic incantation to tell the remaining
> boxes THE NT SERVER IS DEAD !  (no matter how load I shouted).

make sure _nothing_ is set to log into the NT domain you had created (if
you did) and _power down_ everything, then reboot, one-by-one. That's
the only way I could get rid of a workgroup I removed here. :-(

--
Joshua Fielden, Systems Administrator, GeoCities. jfielden@geocities.com
#include <std_disclaimers.h>