Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 22:49:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@inter-linc.net>
To:        brian@worldcontrol.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rxvt: can't load color "darkslateblue" ; 16 bit depth

On 10-Feb-98 brian@worldcontrol.com wrote:
>Any other ideas?
>
>--
>Brian Litzinger <brian@worldcontrol.com>

I may not have been paying close enough attention to the problem you stated.
I'm not an expert on this, but I have experienced similar problems, and that is
the only reason I am even offering help. :-)  In /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 on my
system (and yours too, most likely) is a file called rgb.txt.  This is where
color names are mapped to RGB values.  Make sure this file is not corrupt and
is world readable, and all of the "missing" color names appear in it.  I'm not
sure why it would work OK and then later have problems, though.  A 16-bit color
depth is still a "palleted" mode, so give 24-bit a try and see if the problems
disappear for good.  If not, there is some other underlying problem which I
would have no clue about.

--- Chris Dillon
--- cdillon@inter-linc.net