Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 2003 19:16:00 +0100
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: debugging php4 ports make process

Hi Josh,

Cheers for reply.

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 10:34:24AM -0700, Joshua Oreman wrote:
> > Obviously in this example the value contained in WITHOUT_APACHE is
> > obvious, but in other Makefile's where there are more than 2 or 3 nested
> > .if .else .endif clauses, it can be hard determining which macros
> > contain what values.  What is the best way of debugging make targets?
>
> make -V WITHOUT_APACHE
> should dump the $(WITHOUT_APACHE) variable after the Makefile has been processed.
Argh so simple.  Time to read the make manpages properly this time...

> > I'm having a problem with the new php4 make process in as much as I want
> > to install mod_php4 using one set of options / --with-* args and
> > php4-cli with another set of options.
> Alas, what I had to do was do it by hand. You can apply the patches
> manually, but you'll have to create the package yourself if you want
> that.
I was fearing this.  I'd managed to actually achieve the goal on my
personal server, but when I went to attempt it on a soon-to-be
production server it wasn't playing at all.

I think what had happened was that I'd left mod_php4 4.3.1 installed
(prior to the 4.3.2 port major overhaul), and then went on to install
the 4.3.2 CLI afterwards, but confusion abound... I only found out about
this when I ran 'make deinstall' in /usr/ports/www/mod_php4 and was told
that the MD5 checksums failed on a variety of files, presumably from the
4.3.1 install.

Ok I'll consider installing from the source then or hacking away at a
package.

Much appreciated,
Jez