Date:      Mon, 4 May 1998 00:48:28 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Nicole <freelist@webweaver.net>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD advocacy list <FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: InfoWorld Electric: Linux Zealots Trashing FreeBSD, Berkeley

On Sun, May 03, 1998 at 02:40:12PM -0700, Nicole wrote:

> On 03-May-98 Brett Glass wisely wrote:
> > I'm not mentioning FreeBSD explicitly in my messages, but I *am* advocating
> > the Berkeley-style license. The angry zealots who respond to me, however,
> > are trashing FreeBSD and the *BSDs in general.
> >
> > I agree that one can rarely "win" these arguments, but one can raise the
> > awareness
> > level of the lurkers (of which there are many) that there's an alternative
> > point of view. That's where the benefit comes in.
> >
> > --Brett
>

> I have heard one good argument against the FreeBSD liscense altho I
> don't know how true it is..
>
> Their agument was that the license would allow someone (like M$) to
> take FreeBSD and add some propritary stuff to it (like Front page
> extensions, active X etc) and sell it without having to give
> anything back to the FreeBSD group or even state that it was
> FreeBSD.

They don't have to explictly state that it is FreeBSD, but there are a
LOT of credits they _do_ have to state.  Read through the source
sometime.

One example: They have to credit the University of California at
Berkeley, even in their advertisements.  This example is in
/usr/src/COPYRIGHT.

It is, however, correct that they wouldn't have to return the source.
That's intended, and a lot of developers and contributors use it.  I
(for one) distribute FreeBSD-based products without providing source
code, but I contribute back close to all generally usable to changes
to the "official" FreeBSD.  (I can't think of any examples of changes
I haven't given back, but there might be some.)

Eivind.