Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:40:04 +0100
From:      Stephan Beal <stephan.beal@einsurance.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting rid of FreeBSD partitions?

Minor add/corrections to some of the text below:

1) FreeBSD's fdisk simply prints out a bunch of error text when running i=
t,=20
so I can't use BSD's fdisk to remove the partitions:
  "Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1"
  Information from DOS bootblock is:
  The data for parition 1 is:
  syspid 12, (DOS or WIndows 95 with 32 bit FAT, LBA)
  Start 63, size 40079025 (19569 Meg), flag 80 (active)
  beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
  end cyl 848/ sector 63/ head 15
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
(repeats this for partitions 3 and 4)

2) The drives both worked wonderfully for a year with Linux, and only sta=
rted=20
with this stuff when I tried to uninstall BSD.

On Friday 19 January 2001 13:33, Stephan Beal wrote:
> All,
>
> Please excuse me if this is not the correct list to post this, but Free=
BSD
> seems to have a rather limited set of lists, and this one sounded close=
:

> I installed FreeBSD 4.1 last week. I don't at all like it (reminds me t=
oo
> much of Solaris), and I'm trying desparately to replace it with Somethi=
ng
> Else. The problem is that I can't remove the BSD partitions. I have tri=
ed
> Win98's fdisk, Linux's fdisk, and even FreeBSD's fdisk (using the
> installation app), and I simply cannot make these damned BSD partitions=
 go
> away. I suspect that using BSD's fdisk via the installer would work if =
it
> would allow me to commit the changes without having any BSD partitions
> installed. Running fdisk from the "holographic rescue shell" simply doe=
sn't
> do it - they reappear on the next boot.
> Linux's fdisk segfaults when I try, and Win98's says it deletes them, o=
nly
> to have them show up again on the next reboot.
> I've got a 20GB IBM drive, which is my primary concern, plus an old 4GB
> secondary drive with the same problem (plus FreeBSD will only acknowled=
ge
> 2GB of it, but that's beside the point). The drives are both useless to=
 me
> until I can get the BSD partitions off of them.
> I've seen this problem before, but only with NT-fdisked drives, and eve=
> then, Linux's fdisk would fix the problem.
>
> How the hey do I get rid of BSD paritions? I've tried changing drive mo=
des
> (LBA, Normal, etc.), different fdisk apps... everything I have availabl=
e.

> (PS: May I please ask that you respond directly to me, as I have no
> intention of subscribing to this list, as I don't intend on continuing =
> use FreeBSD.)
>
> Thanks very much in advance,
>
> ----- Stephan Beal
> Generic Universal Computer Guy
> stephan.beal@einsurance.de    http://www.einsurance.de
> Office: +49 (89) 53 07 38 32 (Don't bother. I never answer it.)
> Handy: +49 (179) 2119767     (I rarely answer that one, too.)
> "People don't live or die, people just grow." -- Bob Dylan

--=20