Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2000 21:13:29 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: saving space with docs

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 06:30:42PM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> I'm trying to avoid getting the non-english doc files to save space.
> As i understand it, i can use the "DOC_LANG=en" option in the Makefile
> in /usr/doc,

That should be ``DOC_LANG=en_US.ISO_8859-1'' Look at the ``SUBDIR''
lines in the Makefile, the short version, ``en'', is just a symlink in
/usr/share/doc to en_US.ISO_8859-1 *after* you've done ``make
install'', i.e. in /usr/share/doc

You can also make it an environment variable in your ~/.<shell>rc file
to save you having to edit the Makefile everytime you cvsup.

> and also put /doc/es, /doc/fr, etc in my cvs refuse file.

They should be doc/es* doc/zh* doc/ru* etc. etc.

> However, if i try to delete any of these foreign language directories,
> makeworld dies when it cannot find them.  Is there a way to completely
> eliminate the docs from the system, and their dependencies?

> "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have
> burned so very, very brightly."

	Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
	BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
			              -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000