Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 2014 03:42:40 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@FreeBSD.org>, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Dependencies: base vs. ports (Was: Re: ports/187468)

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 07:01:20AM -0500 I heard the voice of
Bryan Drewery, and lo! it spake thus:

> Take openssl for example, [...]

>From the user perspective, this in particular has been an occasional
but steady low-level grumble of mine for years, and I've definitely
come to wish it were hidden away.  The few times I've wanted a newer
version for something and tried using the ports openssl, it's just
turned into a giant mess of conflicts between the two and I've had to
give up and undertake a big cleanup process.  Maybe if you set the
make.conf flag and go only ports openssl straight from the first
server setup it would work right, but I'm not even sure about _that_.
Wasn't there just a discussion earlier this week about something not
honoring it right?

So, yeah; if you ask me, openssl can't possibly be given the
lib/private or libbsdssl or whatnot treatment too soon   :)

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net