Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 17:05:28 +0200 (GMT)
From:      Robin Lunn <robin@is.co.za>
To:        rlyon@ozemail.com.au (Richard Lyon)
Cc:        fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk, hey@tuns.ca, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xdm and an inittab

Richard Lyon wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 1996, James Raynard wrote:
> > You need to run xdm from /etc/rc.local (not, contrary to some
> > documentation somewhere, from /etc/ttys).
>
> The XFree readme file recommends /etc/ttys. It works. The first three text
> consoles are still available. If xdm is started in rc.local, which
> console does it use?

The first available one.  I've tinkered with placing the entry in
/etc/ttys and it uses the first available console anyway.  The nice
thing about using /etc/ttys is that xdm gets respawned if you kill it
(pressing Ctrl-C and the like.)  This is especially useful for machines
in a lab where people do stupid things like that.

Any word on an inittab for FreeBSD?  This would be more elegant.
--
_ __                  | Only my ideas here unless I say otherwise...
' )  )     /          | (BeamJack@IRC)