Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 2001 23:57:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jay Kuri <jay@oneway.com>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        Jason Terlecki <JTERLECKI@team.look.ca>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limiting Bandwidth

> > Anyone have an idea how I could limit how much bandwidth specific
> > users can use off a shell.  I want to make sure normal users dont use
> > up all the bandwidth, while staff and specific users could use more.
>
> You probably won't be able to do this with ipfw(8) and the traffic shaper
> alone, because you want to restrict bandwidth by user or group.  Most
> traffic filters/shapers work at the IP level.  They have no notion of
> users or groups, nor should they.

Actually, You can do this with ipfw.  I don't know when it appeared, but
from the ipfw(8) man page on a 4.2 machine:

--- snip ---

	[ . . . ]

       uid user
            Match all TCP or UDP packets sent by or received for a
            user. A user may be matched by name or identification
            number.

       gid group
            Match all TCP or UDP packets sent by or received for a
            group. A group may be matched by name or identification
            number.

--- snip ---

	Never tried it... but it is there.

Jay