Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 19:21:52 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd@gtonet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: load spike strangeness

On Sun, Jan 09, 2000 at 09:07:17AM -0800, FreeBSD wrote:
> > That's Mr. Jxxx N. Lxxxxx, actually, but I didn't know that until he
> > started babbling about anonymity, annoying me enough that I checked.
> > I also have strong suspicions why he's hiding - touting that you don't
> > have the guts to stand for what you are doing (thus using precieved
> > anonymity as a shield) is none too wise if you want to keep that
> > anonymity.
>
> You assume wrong, Mr. Jxxx N. Lxxxxx (incorrect by the way) is my business

Yes, the N was an assumption that closer verification shows to be
wrong.

> partner. So, try again. I'm a bit smarter than that. Mr. Jxxx N. Lxxxxx may
> not care if his personal info is out there, and that's his choice. I do care
> however. The only one who knows my true identity is my business partner and
> I doubt he'll say anything.

Either you've been fronting his identity (in all situations I've cared
to identify, which are >10) for years, or you are lying.

I won't detail my verification methods in public - I see no reason to
fully break your cover, and I see no reason to give a detailed list of
how to break the cover of other people.

However, I *do* care to send the public message that if somebody is
going to try to do identity protection, they need to do quite a bit of
work to do it - doing a half-assed job won't work.  I used to run a
nym (stopped around 1990), and I was *careful* about it - and it still
got broken to a point where only a few work-weeks would probably be
able to connect the nym to me (at least I found points where it broke
- I don't know if anybody else did, but I assume that if NSA got
interested, they now know the connection of my nym to me - not that it
matters.)

Eivind.