Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:46:20 -0600
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        "Kurt Werle" <kwerle@pobox.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libxslt build error

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:34:47 -0800, Kurt Werle <kwerle@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2004, at 12:29 PM, Jeremy Messenger wrote:

>>> I did a cvsup (all of ports) right before building.
>>
>> CVSup only merely update your ports tree and don't update your apps
>> what you already have them installed. The portupgrade will update your
>> apps for you by automatic, you can install portupgrade from
>> sysutils/portupgrade.
>>
>> You have libxml2 2.5.8, so it's very old like over a year ago or more.
>> You will have to check in /usr/ports/UPDATING, read manpage of
>> portupgrade and google for portupgrade to find few good articles about
>> it. Update your apps that are over a year old won't be fun, I would
>> rebuild/reinstall all apps.
>
> I have already upgraded libxml and libxslt (since reporting the issue).
>
> However, it has been my experience that most packages correctly detect
> which version of a library is required and whether or not it has been
> installed.

You can't use FreeBSD 4.7's package with today ports. Your error shows was
 from port, not package. Well, in general, it's not good idea to mix
packages with ports too.

> libxslt does not seem to do so in this case.

It will if you update libxml2 first; it's why I told you to use
portupgrade. You are welcome to check pointyhat for the log and they will
showing the success built.

Cheers,
Mezz

--