Date:      Sat, 7 Apr 2001 10:09:50 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fdisk

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 05:09:35AM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> It won't trash the slice tables - I'm assuming that's what you mean,
> as those are in the boot block - or the partition tables, as those are
> in the slices.

Yeah, slice tables...

> You can always print out a copy of the slice and partition tables
> before you do this. If you trash them, you can recover them by hand
> from a fixit cdrom or floppy. Having that printout is a good idea in
> any case. I keep a copy of that with my offsite backups.

I got impatient, so the other day I printed the slice table and decided
to try to reinitialize the boot code. After two test runs and the real
thing, my boot sector is still intact.

Offsite backups? I don't even keep onsite backups! Nothing I keep on my
machine is that important anyway, I just can't afford the time of
reconstructing a wasted system right now.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx