Date:      Sun, 4 Jul 1999 04:49:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rajak <rajak@purdue.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unable to locate wdc0 during install

Okay, here is the situation..

Computer:
Pentium 100Mhz
2 IDE Channels: Primary has 1 2.5Gb HD, Secondary has a Sony CD-ROM
	Both are set as Master.
40Mb RAM

Boot up with kern.flp and mfsroot.flp.
Get to menu to choose if I want to customize kernel, I choose the visual
	menu
Delete all unnecessary items in my mind.. I leave the following -
	- Floppy disk controller
	- Sony CD-ROM
	- IDE/ESDI/MFM disk controller (wdc0)
	- IDE/ESDI/MFM disk controller (wdc1)
	- 3C509 Ethernet adapter
	- Everything in the Communications submenu
	- Everything in the Inputs submenu minus the PS/2 Mouse
	- Everything in the PCI submenu
	All are left with default values.
	There are no conflicts.
Hit 'q', saving the configuration, and continuing with the install.
Watch the probing process begin.
I see the following messages amid numerous others that I did not have time
	to copy down..
	- wdc0 not found at 0x1f0
	- wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
I flip to the second virtual console and see a message saying it has found
	my CDROM, but no message regarding my HD.
	- DEBUG: Found a CDROM device for /dev/wcd0c
	- It also finds lp0, ep0, and fd0.
Attempting to continue the install, I select the Novice menu, where I find
	that it has not found any disks, and I can not continue the
	install.
Reading the Docs / Hardware, as suggested by the menu I come to the
	conclusion that perhaps it does not have the correct IO port or
	IRQ for my primary IDE channel. Therefore I attempt to find out
	this information by rebooting to the already installed OS, Linux.
	By grep'ing my dmesg, I find the following 2 lines, which are the
	setup of my 2 IDE channels.

	ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on IRQ 14
	ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on IRQ 15

Hmm... So I reboot the BSD install, and look at the port and IRQ number
	for wdc0, thinking this will be an easy to correct situation.
	Ah, if only life would be that simple. The wdc0 is already setup
	with this information by default.
Next thought, maybe the chipset for my IDE channels is not supported.
	Wait, but it found wdc1, so it appears to be OK.. After 3 or 4
	hours in #FreeBSD on EfNet, an IRC network, I have come to no
	better conclusion, and as a final hope I was given this email
	address.

So there is my problem.. I've attempted to define it as best as I can,
could you offer me any gems of wisdom?

Brian 'rajak' Poole