Date:      Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:08:04 +1000
From:      =?WINDOWS-1252?B?lSCV?= <googl3meister@gmail.com>
To:        dR <dystopianrebel@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building JDK15 for AMD64 -- status of the "long-command" error?

On 8/3/05, dR <dystopianrebel@yahoo.com> wrote:
> A few weeks ago, someone on the AMD64 list was going
> to try to find a solution to the "long-command" error
> that one sees when trying to build JDK15 for AMD64.
>=20
> One theory is that this problem is caused by a bug in
> the Linux Java binary that is needed to seed the
> FreeBSD build.
>=20
> While sifting through the mail archive yesterday, I
> saw a comment by someone saying that the JDK15 problem
> does not exist in 5.4 CURRENT. (I am using 5.4
> STABLE.)
>=20
> Would someone please confirm whether the bug exists in
> 5.4 CURRENT or 6.0?
>=20
> Marko
> Ottawa, Canada
>=20

For the archives - when I first installed it, I had the 'long command'
issue and naively didn't write it down expecting it to come up again
when the next portupgrade happened along... Ever since then it builds
successfully... and I won't be in a position to completely remove and
reinstall to locate this error for some time.

Someone provided some scripts to check the command line length
problem, but they ran for >24 hours on my box without erroring out - I
changed the 'jump size' to 6 levels and re-ran it with same results,
albeit for a much shorter time (about an hour).

5.4-STABLE on AMD-64/3000+/2GB/Asus A8V Deluxe
> java -version
java version "1.5.0-p1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
1.5.0-p1-gm_13_aug_2005_14_37)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build
1.5.0-p1-gm_13_aug_2005_14_37, mixed mode)

1 thing to note - the build will 'appear' to hang at the end, but it
just takes ages to do it's thing (compiling the javadocs from
memory)...

--
g'luck
gm