Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 22:52:41 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Brian Raynes" <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>, "freebsd newbies" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD Books

:-)  See the book website, URL is in the sig.

>shelled out the $50 US for it :) ) is a good book also and current with
>the 4.x branch, in fact it came with an install CD with 4.2 release.  It
>is also thinner, but with less reference material than "The Complete
>FreeBSD".
>
>I own both, they've helped in different ways with many things.  I think
>if you want a Windows/Unix print and file server, Ted's book seems to
>have very good specifics for how to set that up (unless you want to use
>a non-postscript printer, but the book indicates that that was
>intentional).

It was.  Businesses by nature are more willing to throw a few hundred dollars
at a problem to solve it rather than a complicated software solution, while
home users typically want to avoid spending anything if possible and so will
spend 10 times longer to get a software solution going.

In the case of Postscript, the cost of a PostScript SIMM for the typical
HP Laserjet is going to be much cheaper for a business than the time the
network administrator takes to set up Ghostscript.  I myself have used
both solutions at home and I'd vote for the PostScript SIMM every time
as a result of that experience.

Of course, color printing is different since most color printers that don't
cost an arm and a leg don't support PostScript, so Ghostscript is a
requirement.  But I've observed that the cheap color printers tend to drink
color ink like there's no tomorrow and I can't see many businesses justifying
the expense of them.  So, I left the complicated Ghostscript setups to the
mailing list. :-)